I have been tossing around different ideas for an advent calendar for Mackenzie this year. I didn't want her to just munch on chocolate, get a cheap gift everyday, or mix up the meaning of what this season is about...I guess I wanted it to be a little more intentional.
So this is what we did:
First: We cut 30 strips of paper and numbered them, 25 for Christmas, and an additional 5 for her birthday on the 30th.
Next: I wrote little things on each strip, I listed my ideas below
Then: My glue elf (Mackenzie) and I assembled them in a fancy chain
Last: And then we hung it up to enjoy....
So each day we are going to open one link and enjoy a little holiday cheer!
December 1st: finding the most beautiful tree!
Here are some of my ideas...
- Let's go find the most beautiful Christmas tree of all (Pioneer Court house square)
- Time to go see Santa (Downtown Beaverton's Christmas tree lighting)
- Read the story of Jesus' birth together, using the nativity scene
- Make a gingerbread house
- Surprise! Family is coming
- Make ornaments (this is something we will do a couple of different times) for the grandparents
- Make wrapping paper (stamp plain paper)
- Make Christmas cookies for our neighbors
- Write Santa a letter
- Read Christmas stories
- Make hot cocoa
- Christmas music dance party
- Pick out a Christmas gift for baby sister
- Wrap presents
- Mail Christmas presents
- Surprise! Sleepover with grandparents
- Missing you today (she'll be gone at her sleepover)
- Pick out a present for Daddy
- Make thank you cards
- Family is coming today!
- Bake Santa cookies
- Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday Jesus!
(that will be 25 things since we are making ornaments 3 times).
for her birthday countdown...
26. Let's look through your baby book! (a personal favorite of Miss Mackenzie's)
27. I love you because....
28. Let's go find snow (headed to SunRiver)
29. Let's plan your special day tomorrow!30. Happy Birthday Mackenzie!