so last spring i started reading omnivores dilemma. you might have been aware of this because i posted a picture right over there...see it? to the right? well, even though the picture is still there i have read that book and many others since last spring, promise. but this book is worth talking about. you know what many friends have said when i bring up this book? "ohhh, i'm afraid to read that...i don't want to know" which is exactly what i said before i read it. the thing is, once you do read it, you'll want to change a lot about the way you eat. i did. i also would recommend watching the movie food inc. while you're at it. i'm not going to share everything i read, or why i think you should read it too...i simply am going to share some of the things that my family and i have been doing this past year to eat a little more consciously....
- we made a habit of visiting the farmers market
- we bought a half a cow (beef) and split it with family from a local farmer
- we grew our own vegetable garden
- we ate what's in season
- we are always working on reducing the amount of processed food we eat
- we tried to make "it" ourself...bread, ice cream, granola, fruit leather...
come over for fresh eggs in...oh, about four months