Wednesday, August 3, 2011

inspiration

my august race is this sunday.
and i'm nervous. justin is running this 7 miler with me, which could be good or bad. justin is much faster than me...which might encourage me to pick up the pace....or, in a weak moment, cause me to curse his name and try and trip him... i'll let you know how it goes.

i've been working on my "mental toughness" with running. some running blogs i've read have these mottos or mantras that the runner tells herself... you know like, "you got this" or "you trained for this". i tried it...it didn't work. instead, i kept hearing my high school softball coach yelling, "get the lead out rasmussen!" which is what he would always shout as i was running the bases. and in the end i always think, "i can't fight it, i am a slow poke".

but then, while perusing pintrest (so addicting), i found myself "pinning" all these prints that were about running. and guess what folks...these little sayings were playing a track through my head in this morning's run...

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells 'CAN'T", but you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper 'can'. And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.
  (someone else wrote this part, and i loved it!)
 
 
 
 







3 comments:

  1. looking forward to running with you sunday! please dont trip me

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will do awesome jess! i really like the last saying....that is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Jess! I know you'll rock it:)!

    ReplyDelete